Pisa | Tuscany Italy Europe
Geo: 43.771389, 11.254167
Tuscany .eu - Tuscany
Pisa is a city in Italy's Tuscany region best known for its iconic Leaning Tower.
Already tilting when it was completed in 1372, the 56m white-marble cylinder is the bell tower of the Romanesque,
striped-marble cathedral that rises next to it in the Piazza dei Miracoli. Also in the piazza is the Baptistry,
whose renowned acoustics are demonstrated by amateur singers daily, and the Caposanto Monumentale cemetery.
The Leaning Tower of Pisa (Italian: Torre pendente di Pisa) or simply the Tower of Pisa (Torre di Pisa) is the campanile,
or freestanding bell tower, of the cathedral of the Italian city of Pisa, known worldwide for its unintended tilt.
The tower is situated behind the Pisa Cathedral and is the third oldest structure in the city's Cathedral Square (Piazza del Duomo),
after the cathedral and the Pisa Baptistry.
The tower's tilt began during construction in the 12th century, caused by an inadequate foundation on ground too soft on one side to properly
support the structure's weight. The tilt increased in the decades before the structure was completed in the 14th century.
It gradually increased until the structure was stabilized (and the tilt partially corrected)
by efforts in the late 20th and early 21st centuries.
The height of the tower is 55.86 metres (183.27 feet) from the ground on the low side and 56.67 metres (185.93 feet) on the high side.
The width of the walls at the base is 2.44 m (8 ft 0.06 in). Its weight is estimated at 14,500 metric tons (16,000 short tons).
The tower has 296 or 294 steps; the seventh floor has two fewer steps on the north-facing staircase.
Prior to restoration work performed between 1990 and 2001, the tower leaned at an angle of 5.5 degrees,
but the tower now leans at about 3.99 degrees.
This means the top of the tower is displaced horizontally 3.9 metres (12 ft 10 in) from the centre.
The Piazza dei Miracoli (Square of Miracles), formally known as Piazza del Duomo (Cathedral Square), is a walled 8.87-hectare area located in Pisa,
recognized as an important center of European medieval art and one of the finest architectural complexes in the world.
Considered sacred by the Catholic Church, its owner, the square is dominated by four great religious edifices: the Pisa Cathedral, the Pisa Baptistry,
the Campanile, and the Camposanto Monumentale (Monumental Cemetery).
Partly paved and partly grassed, the Piazza dei Miracoli is also the site of the Ospedale Nuovo di Santo Spirito (New Hospital of the Holy Spirit),
which houses the Sinopias Museum (Italian: Museo delle Sinopie) and the Cathedral Museum (Museo dell'Opera del Duomo).
The name Piazza dei Miracoli was coined by the Italian writer and poet Gabriele d'Annunzio who, in his novel Forse che sì forse che no (1910),
described the square as the "prato dei Miracoli," or "meadow of miracles".
The square is sometimes called the Campo dei Miracoli (Field of Miracles). In 1987, the whole square was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Pisa Cathedral (Cattedrale Metropolitana Primaziale di Santa Maria Assunta; Duomo di Pisa) is a medieval Roman Catholic cathedral dedicated to the Assumption
of the Virgin Mary, in the Piazza dei Miracoli in Pisa, Italy.
It is a notable example of Romanesque architecture, in particular the style known as Pisan Romanesque. It is the seat of the Archbishop of Pisa.
Santa Maria della Spina is a small church in the Italian city of Pisa.
The church, erected around 1230 in the Pisan Gothic style, and enlarged after 1325, was originally known as Santa Maria di Pontenovo for the newer bridge
that existed nearby, collapsed in the 15th century, and was never rebuilt.
The name of della Spina ("of the thorn") derives from the presence of a thorn, putatively part of the crown of thorns placed on Christ during his Passion
and Crucifixion. The relic was brought to this church in 1333. In 1871 the church was dismantled and rebuilt on a higher level due to dangerous infiltration
of water from the Arno river. The church was altered in the process, however, and John Ruskin, who visited Pisa in 1872, was outraged about the restoration.
The church of Santa Maria della Spina has always been administered by the city,
except for short interruptions in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries when it fell to the responsibility of the local hospital.
The Knights’ Square (Piazza dei Cavalieri) is a landmark in Pisa, Italy, and the second main square of the city.
This square was the political centre in medieval Pisa.
After the middle of 16th century the square became the headquarters of the Order of the Knights of St. Stephen.
Now it is a centre of education, being the main house of the Scuola Normale di Pisa, a higher learning institution part of the University.
- Seo: www, tuscany, eu, com, tuscany, italy, europe, european, union, mobile, European Union
[ Tuscany Travel: www.Toscana.Travel ]
Address: Corso Rossellino 97, Siena, Tuscany, Italy
Phone: +39 338 12 26 421
Email: tuscany [@] tuscany [.eu.com]
Funder: Carlos Alexander Murrocu
Desk | CRM | Survey | Support | RSS
VAT Number: IT01372960524